Surname Saturday-Boughs of US Virgin Islands

Although the Boughs have been in the Danish West Indies (now US Virgin Islands) since the 18th Century, family lore has it that the ancestors were living in County Cavan, Ireland before coming to St. Croix. As was typical during the 18th and 19th Centuries, the St. Croix population was mostly of English, Irish and Scottish descendants.

The St. Croix Free Males and Militia Combined document established, during 1807-1808, that George Bough, a White male, was in private business as well as a member of the St. Croix Volunteer Company in Christiansted. It is presumed that he met and had a relationship with Sarah Beaudhuy, (1772-1868) a former mulatto slave of Anthony Beaudhuy, who was set free in 1797.

Together they had two sons: David who died at the age of 10 years old and George Bough who becomes the Patriarch of the Bough family of the Virgin Islands. George Anthony Bough fathered 11 children which includes a set of twins and one daughter.

The Bough surname is an old family name that intertwines with the History of the U.S. Virgin Islands Government, Business and Civic Organizations.

In an attempt to gather and compile surnames I thought I would look at my direct Bough lineage beginning with the Patriarch classified as a free person of color because of his mother’s Free-given status.

Lord God of Saboath Lutheran Church, Christiansted St. Croix where family members attended. Photo  by shelley dewese

Photo by shelley dewese

My Bough Lineage(CAPS):

Generation 1. GEORGE ANTHONY BOUGH, (1806-1856) born in St. Croix, the son of George Bough and Sarah Beaudhuy. He met Sophia Lincoln she was born in 1804 and died in St. Croix together they had 2 Children: Mary Elizabeth and GEORGE A. BOUGH.

Generation 2: George A Bough (1831-1854) born in St. Croix met Emelia Elizabeth Petersen-Marcus the daughter of Thomas Petersen and Anna Catherina DeWindt. She was born in St. Croix April 13, 1833 and died 15 of February 1897. Together they had 2 Children: AUGUST CURTIS BOUGH and Christine Luce Bough-Jacobs.

Generation 3: August Curtis Bough (1866-1939) born in St. Croix was the son of George A. Bough and Emlia Elizabeth Petersen-Marcus. He had Eleven children including JULIUS CURTIS BOUGH.

Generation 4: Julius Curtis Bough (1889-1936) born in St. Croix the son of August Bough and Georgianna Aagard. He had Eight children including my mother JOYCE FLORENCIA BOUGH.

Resources provided upon request.

9 comments for “Surname Saturday-Boughs of US Virgin Islands

1. Janet
    April 13, 2014 at 10:51 am

How do you ever get such detail.. fascinating !.Who then married a female Smith *or may have carried a different last name) from Tortola whose father’s name was Jacob Wilson Smith?

• April 14, 2014 at 12:46 am

Janet:
      The source that I use the most comes from the Virgin Islands Social History Association (VISHA) Database. This system holds historical records from the Danish West Indies/Virgin Islands Archives. The Web site is stx.visharoots.org.
      Ref: Female Smith
      On the Bough Family tree we have Alice Smith from St. Croix who married Joseph Bough. I am aware of a Tortola connection with the Smith line, however the name you provided Jacob W. Smith is not familiar therefore, I am unable to confirm or match without futher research. Will keep you posted on this effort. Thank you for sharing and stopping by.

• Nadine Marchena Kean
        March 18, 2015 at 9:03 pm

Pleasant Good Evening. Perhaps I can help with the connection. As I indicated in the book, The Ties that Bind… A Virgin Islands Story, Alice’s mother is Emma Mueller and her father is Waldemar Joseph Smith. Waldemar was one of the eldest sons of Jacob Wilson Smith. Jacob had 10 children (that I have found) and 3 of those were daughters. Two sons moved to St. Croix. Hope that clears up one of the Smith ties to St. Croix! Talk to you soon my cousins, Nadine

• March 19, 2015 at 9:30 pm

Hello
        Much thanks to you for stopping by and taking the time to clarify the family connection with the Smith’s of Tortola. I was not completely mindful of the book However from the short description on Amazon I have to add The Ties that Bind to my local collection. Thank you for following me on this genealogical journey. Your remarks, comments are welcomed.

2. April 13, 2014 at 8:22 pm

It is so good to see you blogging again Shelley, not to mention that you have such a fabulous rich lineage that I want to know more about.

I hope all is well with you and look forward to more from you in 2014!

• April 13, 2014 at 9:22 pm

Liv:
      It is so good to be back, and it was good to take the break. What I learned from the Slave South Course was that I was not as multi-task as I might of thought. The deadlines were challenging and the course work was pretty intense. However I found it all quite interesting and useful. Thank you for sharing Coursera.
      As I stir the pot, I hope to put out more of my matrilineal lineage during this year. Your encouragement is always appreciated.

3. June 1, 2014 at 7:38 pm

Thank you Sheryl for stopping by.

4. Baugh
    January 30, 2016 at 8:53 pm

Hi also wanted to post this. George Bough baptised in Cavan on 17 july 1755.

Is that a missing link you are looking for? Might be the same lad.

• January 30, 2016 at 10:34 pm

Hello Stephen:
      I am very happy that your search landed you on my genealogical journey. I’m so excited to read about two Baugh/Bough brothers and the reason for the letter change. The link and the information are quite helpful and perhaps this is the support I need for the oral history that was passed down throughout the generations. Thank you for the visit and stop back anytime.

Liked by 1 person