Treasure Chest Thursday- 1855 DWI Census Record

I owe a sense of gratitude to a stranger, for the discovery of a Gem in the form of the 1855 Danish West Indies Census. It all began when an ancestry.com member saved a census record that was linked to my relative. While sharing, and assisting with their research; my genea-buddy and I discovered: Nancy, my African Ancestor, my 4th Great- Grand mother.

She appears on The 1855 St. Croix Danish West Indies Census. This census is my Thursday Treasure and for all times. This beautiful document describes Nancy as born in Africa, 70 years old, Lutheran, unmarried, invalid, supported by her children at Hill Street-46 Christiansted; living with daughter, Ann DeWindt, 5 grandchildren and 2 great grand-children. .

Every time I look at this census it brings so much emotion. It lists “All my Mothers” beginning with Nancy; and her daughter Ann DeWindt; and Ann’s daughter Emelia Petersen; my 2nd great-grand mother, and mother of August C Bough, my great-grandfather. The census record below, also supports the sketchy oral history of my Great Uncle on his African Ancestry, as told to me by his niece many years ago; admittingly I was not paying close attention.

dewindt-anna-1855-42-680 (2)

Little is known, about Nancy’s life in Africa, her parents, or their professions. However, other information researched showed that she was born about 1780, and at approximately 14 she arrived in St. Croix, worked as a servant with the same Danish family most of her life. Nancy received her freedom on July 3rd 1848, when Gov. Gen. Peter von Scholten proclaimed the freedom of all slaves in the Danish West Indies. Nancy died, bet. 1857-1860 and was buried on St. Croix.

Tracing my maternal family to the Danish West Indies has been quite exciting, and now finding an African Ancestor has caused many emotions, mainly a drive for more data. I went over the census record with my family, they seemed to understand the value of “what we do” as family historians. As a result, we were rejoicing and echoed Alex Haley by saying “I found you” Despite the new and different direction this new information brings; it has provided me with a better appreciation of oral history. Oral History, together with supporting document = the Happy Dance. Now thats a treasure.

7 comments for “Treasure Chest Thursday- 1855 DWI Census Record

1. February 15, 2013 at 4:08 am

Shelleye,
    You are right, this is a BEAUTIFUL document and truly a family treasure!!! WOW! I am thrilled to hear about this recent discovery and about your collaboration with others who helped you find this precious document!

I can certainly relate to all the emotions you felt just holding and looking at that document. I haven’t made an Africa connection just yet, but I know I will. The closest I’ve gotten is connecting with the great-grandson of the Master who owned some of my paternal ancestors. WOW! Your Treasure for this Thursday is a true celebration . . . CONGRATULATIONS! — Liv @claimingkin.com

• February 16, 2013 at 6:34 am

Liv
      Although the Danish West Indies, (now the US Virgin Islands) is just a speck on the map it has a history in the slave trade. Before becoming a U.S. Territory, Denmark own the islands and the Danish people were notorious record keepers for many purposes. Therefore, if you can obtain the record, usually the information is pretty precise. There are still issues with many of the historical records remaining in Denmark but overall we are able to get access to most.
      Your find of the Masters grandson is pretty awesome as well. I would love to read about that journey. You’re right will find your African ancestor.

2. Shirley de Chabert-Highfield
    February 15, 2013 at 9:16 am

Absolutely amazing! Connections to the past!!!

Shirley

• February 16, 2013 at 6:36 am

Connecting to the past and moving forward with dignity. Thank you

3. February 15, 2013 at 10:31 am

Love the spirit in which this was written. Truly a Treasure.

4. jsmith0105@aol.com
    February 17, 2013 at 6:01 am

This is really, really so cool! I’m excited for you – brings me tears of joy ! Just think of the priceless treasures your children and theirs and theirs will have because of your passion for family !
    Sent on the Sprint® Now Network from my BlackBerry®